Can you believe that 75% percent of every household's trash can be recycled? Think about this every time we take out the trash can. How long will it take for this disposable plastic cup to degrade in the landfill. Why would I not just use a cup that I can throw in the dishwasher or rinse out and use again in two hours. We throw so much stuff away that can be reused! Did you know that between Thanksgiving and New Years American's generate an extra Billion pounds of trash a week! Most of which is wrapping paper. While I am a terrible offender of buying my favorite cute wrapping paper from the kid down the street, it kills me to think about killing trees to get it. We should use reusable bags, baskets, ect. or reuse the paper itself (of course this is hard when it is torn into five million pieces in the excitement of it all). There are so many friends that don't even recycle cans, bottles, and plastic containers. We should all just take an extra two minutes everyday to think about the number trees killed when throwing any paper into the trash rather than the recycle container or the water wasted when running it while brushing your teeth or shaving in the shower. While I am sure we have enough dishes in our households to run full dishwashers but why would you waste the energy (ie oil used to generate the power) to run half loads of laundry or dishwashers.
Alright, there you have it. My rant for the week. Sorry I missed out on last week and have no great shots for this week. We are all over our colds, ect. Although we were pretty sure that Darrell had walking phenomia this week but the Dr. just said he was generally broken from allergies and stress. He will live just fine. Will post photo's later. For now this is my rant.
Remember Earth Day Tuesday, April 22nd. Do what you can to change your life now to protect the earth and it's natural resources for our children!
Saturday, April 19, 2008
Save my planet!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Darrell & Steph at Gala in Sept 07

6 comments:
I have been trying to be better....thanks for bringing this up. I will work on being 'smarter' about trash and recycling! It is something that is very important to me too!! loved the rant!! :)
Wow Steph where'd you look up all the info for that? Crazy! I agree we should be better. Thankfully our town has a designated recycling pick up type thing... very handy for the recyclers :)
I'm glad you guys are feeling better and I had to laugh when I read that the Dr. said Darrell was "broken" from everything :) It happens to al of us it just amazes me how awful it feels to be that way :P
I completely agree with you on the recycling...I do really well for awhile, then I regress and just throw everything away! Thanks for the reminder...the smallest changes can make the biggest difference.
You're so right, I've been really feeling like we need to step it up in this department. There's just so much we can do better on. I do have to say I took a hint from the biggest loser and gave up buying bottled water. It blew my mind how many bottles of water alone we americans go through. Insane!
Matt keeps saying, buy more paper plates! I don't know why he's worried, I'm the one who does the dishes. I can settle for paper plates when we have a party, but for everyday use...I just can't give in. There, I had to rant, too. :)
I am so with you on this...I can't believe the waste in this world. We can all do better.
Post a Comment