Saturday, July 19, 2008

Inspired

This week I have been inspired by several different things. First, last weekend I went to a BBQ where I brought this watermelon side dish. Everyone thought it was awesome and seriously it was so easy. It took my creative brain and about 15 minutes and we were good to go. Try it the next time you have to bring something. This was an all adult affair so I am not sure if kids are cool with green in their watermelon ...but it's worth a shot.

One medium seedless watermelon..scooped into balls either with a melon baller or a 2 Tsp measuring spoon...which is about the only use I have for this crazy size spoon.

About 2 to 3 tablespoons minced fresh mint leaves (currently growing on my deck!)

Juice of half fresh lime (depending upon the size of your melon you may want more)

Toss gently, refrigerate or serve immediately!

Alright, the inspiration for this comes from Big Al. Al turned us all onto Blogging recipes last week and I thought...what a great way to share. This one got such rave reviews by my friends that I thought you might like it.

The second inspiration of the week came on Tuesday night. A large Mac & Cheese producing customer of ours...we wont say who they are....blue boxes...were in town and we wanted to wine and dine them, showing just what a fabulous company we are......please let us make your seasoning blends??!! Anyway, our executive staff put together a wine and food tasting/paring. The food was created and designed around our Flavor Forecast. Our chefs and food insight folks get together with about 15 well known chefs around the country, including some of those that you see on the food network to come up with what the next great flavor pairings will be. Orange and wood smoke. Hummmm can you say BBQ sauce? wait...on a mini BBQ chicken slider with provolone cheese. Yum! Alright now train my mind how to pair an awesome big and bold Syrah from California with that and man....I was in heaven. It made such a difference. Pair acidic iwth acidic, sweet with sweet, smoky with smoky....How to pair things completely changed how the two tasted together. By the end of the night I said to myself. "I love this stuff!" Awesome food and how it is all put together and then the wine paired up so beautifully. What a dream to go around doing this type of thing for a living. What would I have to do to do this for a living?...um other than have a degree in wine making and 10 years experience in the food industry.....check. Well, motivation to leave my current job for one...anhh...let's take some baby steps first. So, baby step one. Meet up with all my foodie friends and start learning, tasting, pairing, and teaching. Once a month a girlfriend and I are planning said experience. There is already one group that does something similiar to this but to this point I have not yet been included. We are just not that close of friends, however, I hope to be able to incorporate myself into the group if mine fails miserably! Stay tuned.

5 comments:

Al said...

Hot dang, that watermelon bit sounds awesome... I am so glad I turned you on to sharing recipies! And I think I'm gonna have to come for dinner to understand this food pairing concept. :)

Seth, Sarah and the kids said...

sounds like so much fun....i am NOT brave in the 'make up your own recipe' department!! i need some major direction to make things taste good!! :) that is why i love all the blends you create...

I am with Al....I'm coming over for dinner!!

Jen said...

I'm Hungry! And, oh how I'd love to have a sip of wine right about now! Hope your gropu gets going and hope you share what you learn!

Unknown said...

mmmm... that watermelon sounds delish! Share whenever you want!

Jenny said...

What a great recipe and I love the idea of getting together to share creativeness. I want to come too!


Darrell & Steph at Gala in Sept 07