Saturday, May 10, 2008

Ta Da!!!!

I take no credit. well...ok, maybe a little. Once again, Al comes to my rescue! I was half way there with Jen's blog and some help on line but I couldn't have gotten there without Al- Thanks little buddy.


First off we have to say Happy Mother's Day to all of you- since you are all Mother's..Amanda I count us too since we have creatures & husbands to take care of. Not quite the same but in my book it counts! Thought you might like to see a photo of our gang above. Taken last year on a trip to see my family. Thought it spoke to our personalities pretty well! She's such a nut! I remember some great things as a kid. Weekend mornings walking to the Swedish Bakery and then taking the day down the road to Harbert Beach on Lake Michigan. Sitting out all day and then going home to BBQ and play in the trees. All within in walking distance. Then there was the only time I was hospitalized. The neighbor boys and I were trying to swing from tree to tree. Below us were old mattresses in the event that we fell. I did, only not on the mattresses. I never even started swinging before I let go of the rope and landed on the maple tree root with my head. Mom to the screaming bloody murder rescue. I tried so hard to be one of the guys. Still to this day, I suppose, I am doing that. I currently have the biggest black and blue knee from trying to catch a softball- and missing I might add. So sexy, I can't even tell you. My revelation for this week is that I just treat my body as a tool not a sacred vessel (until I have a reason to, that is). As long as it still functions, I am good to go. As D always tells me, I fix up well! Ha! Cool stuff. Poor Mom who wanted a cute little pretty girly girl. She got that in Erin, not me. Laura (my half sister) was somewhere in between. More like me, I think, than a girly girl. It's good that we are all different.

Mom has had a tough life, no doubt, but she has come such a long way in the last 5 years. Re certified Nurse, Church Board, Every one's friend, and recovering from two years of loosing some of this world's greatest people...Dad, Aunt Sandy, Mr. Jernigan (mom took care of him for years), Mrs. Pryor (our neighbor), Dr. Peterson (A long time family friend and colleague) and two of her dear kitties (hit by a car following each other). It has been a rough time but through it all she has stayed positive.... and sober! We love her and some days it so hard to be all the way across the country from one of your best friends!


All- Enjoy this special day for one day your kids will speak so proudly of you as well.

7 comments:

Amanda said...

I am almost a mom.. we should definitely count!! ha ha. thanks! Happy mothers day to you too... maybe in our case it should be wife's day! Love the background!! miss you guys!

Jen said...

Pretty background!

Your mom sounds like a strong, caring woman. What a nice post to share about her.

And, yes...you are a mom! Matt & I have affectionately called each other Mumma & Puppa since we brought our puppy home 3.5 years ago!

sperry said...

Hope you had a wonderful Mother's day Steph! Your page looks great :) It's great to here about those things that have made us who we are. As to enjoy it one day they'll be honoring you... that's a little freaky, but hopefully true :) And so we keep trying.

Josh, Amanda, and Talon said...

I definitely think having a puppy and a husband counts so I celebrated Mother's Day and had a great day!! I sure hope you had just as much fun as we did.

Amy said...

I so love reading about you and your family...give the boy of yours some love from his ole aunt! Gorgeous background! Miss you guys...

Jenny said...

Wow that is a great picture of you girls. I don't think I have seen a picture of all of you since the wedding. Your Mom looks wonderful and so happy..I love it. Yes, Happy Mothers day!

Anonymous said...

I so enjoyed hearing about your childhood and that you had a Swedish Bakery in your life. When I stayed in Brooklyn with Aunt Linnea and Uncle Ed, there was a Swedish/German bakery one avenue up. Wonderful eating memories! Your Mom looks great.Send her a hello from us.
For some reason your email address keeps coming back to me. Help!


Darrell & Steph at Gala in Sept 07