Saturday, September 6, 2008

Everyone Needs a Fresh Start

Start A-New.

This week, although only a four day work week, has been extremely long and eventful. Tuesday began with an announcement with a department reorganization...with me taking on new responsibilities and me moving on from my old accounts. Kraft is my new focus. With that comes one person reporting me too. A good move and much of the business supporting me in my new move, yet difficult to give up my previous accounts to someone who lacks the 60 hour work week and the motivation to put in the extra effort. However, now is not the time to jeopardize one's career advancement. It seems that it is an opportunity to take the advantage to work on less project load and focus on people, with home life and work-life balance included. I have always been a singular person, developing products, working with customers, and organizing customer visits, etc all on my own. Now, the actual number of projects should be lower with more complexity and longer time lines on each, allowing me the time to come home at 5 pm with more travel here and there. This will also give me time to develop and work on my, obviously, much needed people skills. Unfortunately, it has hit home this week that our technicians think I am an unsympathetic slave driver. A quality that I must improve, in my opinion, both at home and at work. I need to focus on people's feelings more. Hopefully this new position will give me the opportunity to focus on what I need to advance most, my ability to be a nice person, professionally, believe it or not, not- not one of my strengths. My goal in life.....NOT TO BE LIKE MY FATHER!!!! (While externally percieved as a wonderful person, internally, a mess and a psycological mind game to those who he was closest to). As a recent personality analysis so blatenlty put it- "if you are not valuable to me- I'll cast you aside"- extremely harsh but until I heard it, sadly very true. Now you can see where the work-a-holic part comes in. Here is where a fresh start, a turn of life, and new "me" comes into play......Cheers- Here is to personality improvements! If that is even possible. Stay tuned for the ability to truly take a step back and look at where are we in life? Where do you want to go? What do you hope to accomplish?.....P.S....I go through this phase every 9 months or so...but never get the guts, nor courage, to actually change jobs, update my resume, consider a second hobby, ect....just bear with me..it will pass. I'm taking advantage of the true idea behind a blog, except you guys actually know me.



Stay tuned for a new background next week. A 1/2 marathon theme? A 911 theme, Or a Rain theme?



It is raining cats and dogs here with tropical storm Hanana.....so far...not worth the hype!.

4 comments:

Seth, Sarah and the kids said...

sheesh....life is crazy!! most of what you described is going on around here too.....there is some definite personality issues I am having with myself lately!! :) maybe its the weather??? (i wish I could blame it on something like that!) :) Congrats on the promotion!! that is exciting!

Al said...

dang gina, I know those feelings of realization, sometimes they aren't very kind. Though I struggle to picture you as an 'unsympathetic slave driver'. I think your technicians are probably just weak and should be cast aside. :) j/k

Good luck miss, something good is bound to come of some good internal perspective

Jenny said...

Hey... we love you no matter what! I also love the introspective stuff. I am always taking this test or that to see where to improve. I generally appreciate it when someone points out something I need to work on as I wouldn't have noticed on my own. Good luck and congrats on the promotion.

Jen said...

We're always growing. Cheers to taking a closer look at you...too often we let that slide.


Darrell & Steph at Gala in Sept 07