Friday, October 31, 2008

A child's intuition

I know that I don't need to tell you all this but sometimes I wonder if the things children say are meant to mean so much more than the words that actually come out of their mouths. They are so honest and we know that often that honesty is not meant to hurt our feelings but tell us something in the most direct but kind way.

Near our home on E. Baltimore downtown is a huge park, Patterson Park. The best in the city, it's about 5 blocks by 8 blocks. In the evenings and on weekends it is filled with people playing sports, running, and walking dogs. During the days however, it is rather quiet with a patch of kids here and there walking in groups either to and from school or off to the children's fenced in play area or the duck pond. Giggly, laughing and hitting one another, they couldn't have a care in the world. Here and there is a college student sprawled out on a blanket or park bench studying. Today, being a Friday, Halloween, and the afternoon before my big dinner party tomorrow night, I decided to take the afternoon off. It has been a beautiful day, finally reaching into the 60's after a very cold week. I decided what better time to take advantage of a three mile run in the park. Running casually by myself, smiling at dogs and children, I came across a woman who was clearly a nanny of some sort walking with three children about 3 to 4 years old. The oldest was at the front holding onto a rope that had at it's end, the youngest child, a cute little blonde girl. As I ran passed them, I smiled at the woman and which point the young little girl said..."look, it's a mommy!"........"Hi", I waved back. Now it probably holds true that the little girl's mom was a runner in a pony tail, however, I couldn't help feel that somewhere, deep down, someone was trying to tell me something. The warmth in my heart filled for the little girl as I ran the rest of my run with a smile. To think she actually thought I could be a mommy....

Much like when Sally played "I spy", I guess children are always trying to tell you something. Enjoy your little messages in costume tonight. Just today, I may look at them a little bit more sweetly.

(P.S...for all your wondering minds...I'm not p.g., for now we will leave it to the experts!)

5 comments:

Al said...

you guys would be sooo good as parents. I hope I get some kids to spoil out of you two soon. :)

Jen said...

Oh, I have tears in my eyes! That is the sweetest story.

Jenny said...

I love your writing and musing. Children are just walking messages. I used to keep a journal of the things my kids would say, that would either make me laugh of stun me. You will be a fabulous Mom! Love you, Jenny

Natalie said...

You two would be fantastic parents! and just think of all the other things she could have said...yikes! kids come up with some funny stuff!

Hillary Sperry said...

That is cool. We all need those feel good moments. I totally agree that children often unknowingly send some pretty important messages. You will both be great parents, with some seriously lucky kids :)


Darrell & Steph at Gala in Sept 07