So every year I like to get out for a beautiful fall hike. This year, I am not sure if I'll get to it before the fall comes and goes. This weekend fall colors are said to peak in Maryland, however today is filled with a forcast of thunderstorms. Tomorrow, being the only nice day, is set for installing a new door on the third floor. Therefore, the fall hike, I hope to accomplish next weekend will likely be too late. We will see. In talking with a friend up in Toronto Canada he sent me some beautiful photo's. One I have used for my screensaver at work, the other I have posted here. Just beautiful. I am not sure why death of leaves is so inspiring too me.
Anyway, last weekend Darrell and I "went to the country", an Apple Farm a friend recommended. Filled with little kids riding hay rides, picking out pumpkins, and running through a straw maze, it was fun to pick out apples for apple pie and pumpkins to carve together. It was difficult to pull Darrell out of the city but I think he was happy once he got out there.
All the fall docorations are out in the house. I have more fall decor than Christmas! My house is pretty much filled with these colors anyway. We painted the kitchen a couple weekends ago and I am trying to figure out a way to delicately tell D that I want to do it over. The color is just not what I want. I saw this kitchen picture in a magazine with a really dark brown (almost cherry wood color). This is what I want. The color now is just too tan. I have three days vacation left and I very well may just take a couple days off and redo it myself. Darrell is a MUCH better painter than me. It must have been all those days in college when he worked for a painter, painting Victorian homes in Davis to make extra money for us.
Inspired by fall and working for a spice company, I thought that I might share a spiced apple pie crumble topping that I created. Inspired out of a recipe from a cookbook from G.Fish! Even better, throw in a cup of fresh cranberries in with the apples...Yum!
Dutch Apple Pie Crumble Topping
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 rolled oats
1/4 rolled oats
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1/8 tsp ground clove
1/4 cup unsalted butter

4 comments:
I would love to see your wall paited brown if you end up doing that, it sounds very pretty. Also that recipe sounds so yummy. I can't wait to try it out
Hope you'll share pictures of your carved creations and, of your kitchen - go ahead and redo it!
Thanks for the recipe!
That is such a gorgeous photo! I LOVE fall! Just get the project started while Darrell is out...then you'd have to finish it! Sounds like fun! and do share your project pics with us!!! I can't wait to see them...oh and I LOVE apple pie YUM!
I love the recipes! I'll have to share some too, I've had some odd cooking urges during this pregnancy, but have gotten to have food I haven't taken the time to cook in ages! Love it.
Post a Comment